Housing Development Process
Governor Newsom signed Senate Bill 330 ("SB 330") into law effective as of January 1, 2020. SB 330 enacted Government Code Section 66300, the "Housing Crisis Act of 2019".
The City will be complying with SB 330 when processing applications for housing development projects.
Residential Development Design and Development Standards
The City Council adopted Residential Development Design and Development Standards ("Standards") to replace the RDCS Competition Manual. The Standards have been developed to meet the requirements of "Objective Standard" and are consistent with the Morgan Hill 2035 General Plan.
The purpose of the Residential Development Design and Development Standards is to articulate project design requirements for all residential and mixed-use developments. These standards will be utilized to detail the review process by clearly stating the City of Morgan Hill’s objectives for high quality, residential projects that are aesthetically pleasing, livable, sustainable, well-connected to neighborhood services.
These Standards implement requirements of SB 330 "Housing Crisis Act of 2019" and shall remain in effect until SB 330 is rescinded or extended.
Process and Filing Requirements
An applicant for a housing development project is required to submit an SB 330 preliminary application. A housing development project is only subject to the ordinances, policies, and standards adopted and in effect when a preliminary application is submitted.
An applicant is required to submit a complete application (based on the Residential Development Design and Development Standards) for a development project within 180 days after submitting the preliminary application.
All applicants are required to make an appointment to submit applications for housing development projects with the Development Services Department.
- Uniform Application Form (PDF)
- Planning Entitlement Project Information Sheet (PDF)
- Filing Requirements and Plan Specifications (PDF)
- Preliminary Plan Review Checklist -SB 330 Housing Development Projects (PDF)- Required first step for all residential development processed with SB 330 (2 or more units)
- Development Design and Development Checklist - SB 330 Housing Development Projects (PDF)- Required for final residential development submittal
- SB 330 Housing Development Approval Timeline (PDF)
- BMR Program/Affordable Housing Criteria