To left: Santa Clara County Fire Department archive.

Factory delivery. Morgan Hill's 1926 Seagrave Model 6-B Suburbanite with a 500 gpm pump and a 90 gallon tank. This engine was retired in 1957.


Above: Wayne Sorenson Collection. Morgan Hill's 1926 Seagrave. Black and white photo is pre-restoration. After retirement, this engine was used by the Public Works Department as a water tanker and finally restored by volunteer firefighters at Live Oak High School.


Above: Santa Clara County Fire Department archive. Fire station (1930-1974) located at the corner of West Main Avenue and Monterey Street. It was demolished 9 January 1975. This building also housed, simultaneously, Public Works, California Department of Forestry (CDF) from 1938-1953, City Hall, and the Morgan Hill Rural Fire District. Right photo from a 1975 newspaper article. Left photo October 1969.

To right: Santa Clara County Fire Department archive.

 First Aid truck, 1940's. This Ford carried a stretcher and resuscitator. Chief Lee Rosa on left.


To left: Santa Clara County Fire Department archive.

Personnel lineup circa 1946, in front of a 1946 Dodge Van Pelt fire engine. Chief Lee Rosa in white hat (front row, second from right).


Above right: Santa Clara County Fire Department archive. Informal photo of department personnel, 1948.

Chief Lee Rosa at left (with uniform hat).

To right: Wayne Sorenson collection

1956 Dodge/Van Pelt fire engine. It had a 750 gpm pump and carried 200 gallons of water.

Above: Chuck Madderom and Wayne Sorenson collections. 1964 GMC Van Pelt fire engine with a 1000 gpm pump and a 300 gallon tank. Originally red, and without a roof, it served as Engine 1. Later equipped with a roof and painted yellow, it served as Engine 133.

Left: Santa Clara County Fire Department archive.

Live fire drill on the site of what is now Live Oak High School. Photo November 1965

Right: Santa Clara County Fire Department archive.

Anderson fire station, 1974. Located in Holiday Lakes at the end of Park View Drive next to the clubhouse, this unstaffed station served the community from 1973 to 1982. Engines shown are a 1957 Dodge Van Pelt (yellow) in front of a 1958 GMC. The GMC was a retired CDF (forestry) engine. The Dodge cost $15,000 and pumped 750 gpm.



What is a fireman?

He is the guy next door - a man's man with the memory of a little boy. He has never gotten over the excitement of engines and sirens and danger. He is a guy like you and me with wants and worries and unfulfilled dreams. Yet he stands taller than most of us. He is a fireman. He puts it all on the line when the bell rings. A fireman is at once the most fortunate and the least fortunate of men. He is a man who saves lives because he has seen too much death. He is a gentle man because he has seen the awesome power of violence out of control. He is responsive to a child's laughter because his arms have held too many small bodies that will never laugh again. He is a man who appreciates the simple pleasures of life - hot coffee held in numb, unbending fingers - a warm bed for bone and muscle compelled beyond feeling - the camaraderie of brave men - the divine peace and selfless service of a job well done in the name of all men. He doesn't wear buttons or wave flags or shout obscenities. When he marches, it is to honor a fallen comrade. He doesn't preach the brotherhood of man. He lives it.