Permits and Licenses
- ABC Permit(s): If you will be serving/selling beer, wine or alcohol you will need a permit from Alcoholic Beverage Control with the State of California. Before they can issue a permit, they will coordinate with the City of Morgan Hill.
- Annual Fire Inspection: The City of Morgan Hill Fire Marshall annually inspects all businesses.
- Business License: To operate a business in the City of Morgan Hill you will need to file an annual business license.
- Building Permit Application (PDF): Each application for a Building Permit shall include a complete permit application, plans, and specifications as necessary. Download a Summary of Building Application Submittal Requirements (PDF).
- Sign Permit (PDF): If you are installing or modifying a sign for your business you need to have a sign permit.
- Tobacco Permit: If you are selling tobacco related products in Morgan Hill you need to a tobacco permit. A tobacco permit can be processed concurrently with a Business License Application.
- Administrative Use Permit (PDF) - Some business uses require an administrative use permit to operate within certain areas of the City (Check Zoning to determine if this applies)
- Animal Establishments/Kennels Application and Instructions - Operating a commercial kennel, private kennel, pet shop, pet grooming parlor, animal menagerie, animal shelter or horse establishment within the City of Morgan Hill will require an Animal Establishment/Kennel Permit.
- Bingo Permit Application and Instructions - Nonprofit charitable organizations, mobile home park associations, or senior citizen organizations within the City of Morgan Hill who operate bingo games for charitable purposes will require a Bingo Permit.
- Conditional Use Permit (PDF) - Some business uses require a conditional use permit to operate within certain areas of the City. (Check Zoning to determine if this applies)
- Encroachment Permit - Are you working in the City of Right of Way (roads, streets, sidewalks, light poles)? If so, you will need to receive an encroachment permit from the City of Morgan Hill.
- Live Entertainment Permit Application and Instructions - Any type of entertainment and/or dancing in a restaurant, nightclub, bar or establishment within the City of Morgan Hill where food and/or alcoholic beverages are served and which is open to the public will require a Live Entertainment Permit.
- Massage Permit - The City has strict limitations on the location of Massage establishments (Check Zoning). A massage permit can be processed concurrently with a Business License Application. Please note as part of the permit process additional information will need to be submitted that will be retained with the Police Department.
- Newsrack Program (PDF) - The consolidated Newsrack program requires vendors to pay the Business License, a vending machine fee and in some cases obtain and pay for an Encroachment Permit. Information is outlined in the Newsrack consolidated program guidelines (PDF).
- Special Event Permit - If you are having an event on City streets or property (that can include alcohol, more than 50 people or amplified sound) you will need to get a Special Event Permit.
- Taxicab Company Permit and Instructions - Owners of a taxicab business operating a taxicab on the streets of the City of Morgan Hill for the purpose of providing transportation services will require a Taxicab Company Permit. Instructions to complete the permit are found
- Taxicab Driver Permit Application and Instructions - Taxicab Drivers operating a taxicab on the streets of the City of Morgan Hill for the purpose of providing transportation services will require a Taxicab Driver Permit.
Construction Related Permits
- Interior building improvements If you are making modifications within a building (changing lighting, HVAC, plumbing fixtures, adding/removing walls) you will at a minimum need a building permit.
- Exterior building improvements. If you are proposing exterior modifications to a building (examples include: constructing a new building, adding an addition, adding windows, signs, etc.) you will need to start with a planning permit. If you are modifying the interior of a building (HVAC, plumbing, new walls, demolition) or exterior work like a new roof, deck, pool, fence, solar panels you will need a building permit.