Utility Inspections at Property Sale

Private Sewer Lateral & Plumbing Fixture Inspections

Utility inspections are required prior to property sale. These requirements were adopted through the Private Sewer Lateral Ordinance (PDF) and Water Conservation Ordinance (PDF)

Required Forms

Below are the required forms to receive Certificates of Compliance before property sale. Please follow the process outlined in the Point of Sale Flow Chart (PDF) and use the forms listed below.

Financial Assistance Programs

Private Sewer Lateral Repair and/or Replacement Grant

  • To learn how to apply for private sewer lateral repair/replacement financial assistance program, please visit our Grant webpage.

 Toilet Replacement Program

  • Are you a part of the PG&E Energy Savings Assistance Program? That means you are also eligible to receive a free high efficient toilet to replace your toilet(s) 1.6 gallons per flush or greater.
  • A maximum of 3 toilets may be replaced per household.
  • Full toilet replacement is required to meet the provisions of the Water Conservation Inspection Ordinance. No retrofit kit upgrades or flapper replacements will be accepted. 
  • Replacements are available until funds are depleted. 
  • To apply and for more details reach out to Valley Water's Water Conservation Program. 

Qualified Contractors/Licensed Plumbers

Private Sewer Lateral
Qualified Contractor Requirements
Water Conservation
Licensed Plumber Requirements
State Licensed with California (C-36)State Licensed with California (C-36)
Morgan Hill Business LicenseMorgan Hill Business License
NASSCO Certification

Private Sewer Lateral - Qualified Contractors

All private sewer lateral inspections must be conducted by a Qualified Contractor from the provided list: Qualified Contractors (PDF)

If you are a plumber and meet the three requirements above, please contact PSL.WC@morganhill.ca.gov to be added to the Qualified Contractor's List.

Water Conservation - Licensed Plumbers

Toilets, showerheads, and urinals need to be inspected by a Licensed Plumber. 

Ready to Turn on Water Service? 

Go to the Utility Billing Division and complete the "Start residential water service" form and provide:

  1. Certificates of Compliance for Private Sewer Lateral and Water Conservation; AND/OR
  2. Exemption Form for Utility Inspections at Property Sale; OR
  3. Transfer of Responsibility Form for Utility Inspections at Property Sale, with a copy of the initial Utility Inspection report and a copy of the PSL CCTV video footage.

Need to Make Repairs to the PSL? 

Contact the Building Department to ensure all appropriate permits are pulled: