Accessory Dwelling Units

ADU image1An Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU), also know as a "Secondary Dwelling unit", a "Granny unit", or an "In-Law Unit", attached or detached, on a single lot of record is allowed where single-family or multi-family dwellings are a permitted land use. The City also allows the development of a Junior ADU (JADU), which is constructed within the walls of the proposed or existing single-family residence. JADU's are required to have a separate entrance and an "efficiency kitchen" but can share a bathroom with the main home. ADUs and JADUs are subject to the development standards and requirements found in Chapter 18.84 of the Municipal Code. 

Your Path to a Completed ADU

Path to completing an ADU

The following checklists can assist you with answering any questions you may have about your property and building an Accessory Dwelling Unit:

Detached ADU Checklist (PDF) and Attached ADU Checklist (PDF)

Before applying for a Building Permit, contact a Planning staff member at to confirm the Zoning designation for the proposed location of the ADU and any additional requirements.