Cochrane Commons (Phase 2)
The project would involve construction of Phase II of the Cochrane Commons development on the undeveloped site adjacent to the completed Phase I. The Phase II project currently proposed is different from the originally proposed Phase II that was analyzed in the 2005 EIR. The project would consist of 498 residential units, consisting of a mix of homes, townhomes, condos, and apartments; 135,000 square feet of retail space; a 140-room hotel; and amending the zoning and General Plan designation to Mixed Use Flex (MUF) for the Phase II development area. The residential uses would be located in the northern and middle portion of the project site and the hotel and commercial retail would be located in the southern portion. The project would also provide various on-site amenities for residents. A courtyard with outdoor open space would be provided near the proposed apartment units. A clubhouse, recreation hall, and swimming pool would also be provided for on-site residents. The project would include 1,367 parking spaces. Required Project Approvals include a General Plan Amendment and Planned Development Amendment (Zoning Amendment).
City Council Hearing
The City Council conducted a public hearing on Wednesday, November 2, 2022, at 7:00 p.m. on the project stated above. Pursuant to AB361, the City Council meeting was held as a "hybrid" meeting with the second option to attend by Teleconference/Video Conference or in person. All interested persons were invited to attend the public hearing and participate in the meeting using the multiple options available.
Planning Commission Hearing
- Updated Site Plans (PDF)
- Phase 2 Site Plan - Color (PDF)
- Design Standard Matrix (PDF)
- PUD Amendment (PDF)
- Use Table (PDF)
To sign up for notifications and updates on this project: Notify Me
- Draft Subsequent Environmental Impact Report (SEIR)
- Appendix A - Initial Study
- Appendix B - Notice of Preparation (NOP) and Comments on the NOP
- Appendix C - California Emissions Estimator Model Outputs
- Appendix D - Transportation Analysis
Original 2005 EIR for the Cochrane Commons project can be found here: https://www.morganhill.ca.gov/2259/Cochrane-Commons-Phase-2
CEQA limits traffic analysis to Vehicle Miles Traveled. Per the General Plan, a second traffic analysis was generated based on a Level of Service metric.
Previous meetings and public review opportunities
- Public Review Period of the Draft SEIR began on June 10, 2022 and ended July 25, 2022.
- Community Open House held on July 13, 2022
- Notice of Preparation and Scoping Meeting - Public Notice (PDF)
- Notice of Preparation public review period was from December 3, 2021, through January 3, 2021
- A public scoping meeting was held on Thursday, December 16, 2021, 6 p.m.
- Planning Commission Preliminary Hearing held on March 23, 2021
For more background information - including the 2005 EIR, please visit the Cochrane Commons Phase 2 Environmental Page (html) for this project.
Cochrane Commons was planned for 2 phases of development. Phase 1 is the shopping center as envisioned today. Phase 2 was to include another 350,000 square feet of retail. As the retail landscape has changed significantly, Browman Development, operators of the Cochrane Commons shopping center, are proposing changes to Phase 2 site plan of their project.